Having a fire extinguisher at home or at the workplace can save a lot of lives and even your property. You can use the extinguisher to put out a small fire before the firefighters arrive. Not just that but you can even stop the fire from spreading. There is no doubt that an extinguisher is lifesaving equipment. This is one of the main reasons why most of the buildings these days have multiple extinguishers placed at different parts of the building. Not just commercial buildings, you can have this life-saving equipment even in your house.
How to use a fire extinguisher the right way?
Just having an extinguisher is not enough. You should also be handled and use it properly. Also, you should keep this in mind that an extinguisher is only effective for small fires. While you use the equipment to control the fire, give a call to the fire department immediately. Here are some tips you should follow while using an extinguisher.
- You should place it somewhere you can easily reach. Make sure that nothing is limiting or blocking you from reaching it at the time of need.
- When you bring in a new extinguisher make sure that all its parts are working properly. Check the hoses and nozzles for any dent or damage.
- You also need to keep the extinguisher clean. If you notice any oil, grease or dust on the outside, clean it.
- Some extinguishers need to test for pressure after few years whereas others need to be shaken monthly.
- When using the extinguisher make sure that you hold it away from you. Aim it directly at the fire.
- You should pull the lever of the extinguisher slowly and evenly.
- While aiming the extinguisher, you should aim it low. For faster results aim it at the base of the fire. This will immediately put out the small fire.
- When selecting an extinguisher, it is always better to go for the ones that come with the label of a testing laboratory. These extinguishers are tested for safety. In other words, these are the more reliable ones.
- Since you don’t use an extinguisher daily, you should go through the directions carefully that is provided with the equipment. You need to get familiar with all its parts and how it works. If you don’t have any knowledge about using it, your efforts won’t matter when the need arises. If you are to keep an extinguisher in the building it’s better that you learn to use it as well.
- The best spot to locate an extinguisher is near the exit. While using the device make sure that your back is facing the exit. This will allow you to escape easily in case, the fire doesn’t stop or gets uncontrollable.
Using an extinguisher may seem easy to you but using it the right way is not. Follow these tips and you will be able to manage it well.